DIY French Recipe: Crêpe Cake
Growing up, one of my favorite restaurants was this little place that we fondly referred to as “the crêpe place.” This little french restaurant had any kind of crêpe you could ever imagine. There were dessert crêpe, savory crêpe, plain crêpe, breakfast crêpe, sharable crêpe, and more. I loved going to the crêpe place and getting my favorite – Jambon et Fromage (ham and cheese). I found this crêpe cake recipe a while back and I just had to try it! It was such a fun take on a traditional french recipe. I love this crêpe cake, but feel free to use this recipe to make traditional crêpes!
Crêpe batter can often be hard to deal with. Don’t let this deter you from making this cake (or any crêpe in the future). Here are some of my favorite tips to make sure that your crêpes come out perfect every time.
OuiPlease Picks for this Recipe:
My favorite crêpe tip: let the batter rest. It gives time for flour to absorb the liquid and the gluten to relax. Your crepes will come out the perfect delicate texture (not chewy) .
Texture: crêpe batter should be runny (NOT thick like pancake batter). It should be thin with no lumps at all. If you do have lumps, it means that the batter is not mixed enough. Try hand whisking or if you are super committed you can always blend up the batter in a blender or food processor.
Make it your own: For desert crêpe I recommend adding just one extra tablespoon of sugar to the batter to make it just a little sweeter. Don’t be shy to add a dash of extra milk if needed as well. This is the perfect time to measure with your heart and have fun with it!
Toppings: Literally anything and everything you can imagine. Here are some of my personal favorite crepe combos.
- Ham and Cheese
- Nutella and strawberries
- Peanut or almond butter and bananas
*OuiPlease favorite: squeeze a little bit of lemon before adding your fruity toppings, whipped cream, and powdered sugar. It gives the crepe a little extra citrus zing!
Shop OuiPlease Picks
Ingredients for the crepes
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
Ingredients for the cake
- 20 to 30 7 inch crêpes, lukewarm or room temperature
- one 13-ounce jar of Nutella
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Instructions for the Crêpes
1. In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour, sugar and salt until combined. Then create a well with flour and add the eggs. Gradually pour in milk, whisking to combine after each addition. Let batter stand at room temperature until slightly bubbly on top, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. About 1/4 cup at a time, drop batter evenly onto pan, swirling it to evenly coat.
3. Cook 2 minutes, then flip and cook 1 minute more. Repeat with remaining batter.
Tip: this cake is hard to move once it’s fully assembled be sure to make it on a serving plate or cake platter.
Instructions for the Cake
- Fill the bottom of a gallon-sized Ziploc bag with the full jar of Nutella. Twist the bag several times directly above the Nutella so that it is pushed to the bottom corner of the bag. You can even secure the twisted top with a rubber band. With scissors, snip the tiniest tip off of one of the corners of the bag.
- Place the first crêpe on your serving plate. Pipe a few teaspoons of Nutella on the crêpe. If the Nutella comes out too slowly, you can snip off a bit more of the corner of the bag. You don’t need much. Do circles. Or stripes. Or blops. Remember you have so many layers going up that there will be plenty of Nutella within each layer and slice. Top with another crêpe. Pipe on more Nutella. And so on until you have used up all of the crêpes.
- At the top crêpe do not add more Nutella. Instead, shower powdered sugar down on the top of the cake. Serve right away. If needed, you can refrigerate it overnight and then reheat it the next day at 300° F for about 15 minutes.
What is your favorite crêpe? DM us on instagram @OuiPlease with your favorite combination!
France at your doorstep
Get the best in French food, beauty, apparel, accessories, and more delivered right to your doorstep! Subscribe here and get 25% off with code: 2021REFRESH.
Article Inspo: https://food52.com/recipes/30410-nutella-crepe-cake
Photo: Sally’s Baking Addiction