OuiPlease OuiCook Sunday Recipe
This week we are making an amazing Fondue recipe that is both legendary and original! This Fondue Fribourgeouis is a perfect meal for your Valentines Day plans!
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 400 milliliters dry white wine (Fendant du Valais, Languedoc, Rhone,etc…)
- 14 ounces Gruyere cheese (preferably aged), cubed or shredded
- 14 ounces Vacherin Fribourgeois, cubed
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 shot Kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Bread for dipping
- Rub the garlic around the inside of a ceramic or heavy saucepan, then remove the pieces, just leaving the “taste” of it.
- Add the wine and warm it over low heat.
- Start by SLOWLY adding the cheese….and stir vigorously, but slowly, IN ONE DIRECTION only. The cheese will start to melt.
- When the molten cheese starts becomes uniform in consistency, add the nutmeg, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Stir together the corn starch and the Kirsch (IMPORTANT!!). Add to the fondue, to give it viscosity. This is an important step. The secret is: if the corn starch is not diluted in the Kirsch, as it hits the cheese it will coagulate and create little “balls” in the cheese. Then you might as well try to cook something else!
- You are done. If the fondue is too liquid, add more corn starch, mixed with a few drops of water. If too thick, add more wine.
- Cut the bread in pieces (french baguette or whole wheat bread, or both) and enjoy it! Remember not to drink water with the fondue. Only wine or hot tea. Fondue experts say that water will make the cheese lump up into a ball in the stomach. Recent critics have discovered that this is a myth, but I have chosen to ignore them and enjoy my wine with the fondue
Here are some fondue Pots options:
Serving plates and other accessories for a perfect Fondue Night!
Stay warm and Bon appétit!
Want to receive the best in French epicure, accessories, jewelry, and more? Subscribe today and get 15% off your first box with code: AMOUR15