An Airy Dessert: Chouquettes
Similar to cream puffs, chouquettes are a light and doughy pastry that are part of the eclair family. Translated in English to “tiny bits of ‘choux’ (dough),” that’s precisely what they are! Chouquettes alone are slightly sweet but topped with warm berries, it makes for the perfect afternoon snack. Want to make things even sweeter? Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to cool down on a hot summer day!
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 4 tablespoons pearl or nib sugar
Berries and assembly:
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 cups mixed fresh (or frozen, thawed) berries (such as raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
- 6 oz. fresh strawberries, hulled, quartered (about 1 cup)
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream (for serving; optional)
- For about 2 minutes, cook mixture over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon, until dough forms a ball and pulls away from sides of pan
- Continue to stir, until a dry film forms on bottom and sides of pan and dough is no longer sticky (about 3 minutes longer).
- Immediately transfer dough to a large bowl and let cool 1 minute.
- Mix in orange zest
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in eggs one at a time
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of pâte à choux pastry onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2” apart (you should have about 24).
- Brush tops with milk and sprinkle generously with pearl sugar.
- Bake chouquettes until golden brown and doubled in size, 35–40 minutes.
- Just before serving, heat sugar and orange juice in a medium skillet over low heat
- stir to dissolve sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add mixed berries and cook for about 2 minutes (do not stir).
- Remove skillet from heat, add strawberries, and shake pan to coat strawberries.
- Split warm chouquettes and fill with vanilla ice cream.
- Serve with warm berries and currants, if desired.
For a more detailed recipe, please visit: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chouquettes-with-warm-berries
Ready to bake? Shop the essential kitchen items here: