THE PERFECT FRENCH EGG APPETIZER
- September 19, 2020
- 0 Comment(s)
Best French Egg Appetizer to Try for your next Dinner Party
Even if you are just beginning to dabble in the world of cooking, you know that having eggs in your kitchen is a necessity. There are a million ways to make an egg dish and they are just so easy! In France, baked eggs are called “Oeufs Cocotte”, and can be baked with ham, creme fraiche, cheese, or vegetables. Oeufs Cocotte is usually cooked in the oven with individual small ceramic bowls. This recipe uses flavorful mushrooms with creamy cheese to add to a perfectly velvety egg. Try this traditional French dish as an appetizer with friends!
Shop OuiPlease picks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms – (any type you like)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup shredded Gruyere
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Shop OuiPlease’s favorite kitchenware for this recipe
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Melt the butter in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the butter is foaming, add the mushrooms and sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 7 minutes while stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and thyme in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Grease an 8X8” pan or several small oven-safe cups. Scrape the mushrooms into the dish.
- Crack the eggs over the mushrooms and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. If you are using individual dishes, use one egg per dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs, then drizzle the cream over the top. Bake in the oven until the whites are set and the yolks are velvety and just barely runny about 10-12 minutes. Serve warm.
Kitchen accessories picked just for you!
France at your doorstep!
Get the best in French food, beauty, apparel, accessories and more delivered right to your doorstep! Subscribe here and get 25% off your first order with code: SEP25
Recipe from Food52
Photo from leitesculinaria.com