DIY French Recipe to Try at Home
The Salad Nicoise is a dish staple in the Spring and Summer in France. Here, olive oil packed canned tuna is mixed with olives, red onions, fresh herbs, and vinaigrette to give you the perfect French Tuna Salad Sandwich. The salad fills the center of a crusty French baguette! Easy to make, and you will feel like you’re in NICE!
INGREDIENTS FOR FRENCH TUNA SALA SANDWICH RECIPE
- 1/2 loaf crusty French baguette
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 4 to 6 basil leaves
- 1 (6oz) can tuna
- 3/4 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 jar or can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup blanched French green beans, sliced into thirds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions for French Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
PREP THE BREAD: Slice the loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Remove some of the insides of the bottom half to create a trough into which the filling will go. Brush both halves with a little extra virgin olive oil. Rub each with the garlic. Line the half with the trough with the basil leaves.
MIX THE SALAD: In a mixing bowl, combine the tuna, olives, red bell pepper, onion, parsley, artichoke hearts (if using) and green beans (if using). In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk the lemon juice into the olive oil until it is emulsified/combined. Pour the vinaigrette into the tuna mixture and stir to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
ASSEMBLE: Spoon tuna mixture into the trough of the baguette over the basil leaves. Wrap sandwich well in plastic. Crush it down by placing a brick or heavy cast iron skillet and refrigerate, preferably with the weight, overnight.
SERVE: In the morning, cut sandwich in half. Enjoy for lunch at home or wrap in foil and brown bag it (use a lunch box that will keep the sandwich chilled). Serve with cubes of feta cheese and a tart Granny Smith apple.
Did you try this recipe? Tell us what you thought in the comments below?
Subscribe to OuiPlease Box
Want to receive the best in French epicure, accessories, jewelry, and more? Subscribe today and get 25% off your first box with code: AVRIL25