Happy Cheese Fondue day! I always find national days funny, it is always the most random things. But if it means I get to celebrate National Margarita Day with a margarita and I can celebrate National Fondue day with amazing cheese fondue…I am in! I think of cheese fondue as simply a fancy cheese board. It is creamy, wonderful, and indulgent in all the best ways.
Allegedly (according to Martha Stewart) a truly proper woman who drops something into the pot must kiss every man at the table. For the men, they must buy the table a round of drinks. You can either take Martha’s advice and decide your guest list accordingly or throw “proper ettiquette” out the window – I won’t tell.
My family has fondue for every New Year’s eve. It’s the perfect celebratory food for the holiday – fun to eat, delicious and easy. Throughout the years, I have learned quite a bit about the art of fondue from making it with my mom. Here are some of the tips that she has taught me to be sure that your fondue is perfectly rich and smooth.
Our Favorite Serving Platters for this Recipe
Which Cheese Is Good for Fondue?
- Use Good-Quality Cheese. I know it will be more expensive, but trust me it is worth it. It is important to have cheese that will met evenly and will be the right texture throughout the meal.
- Swiss cheese is what is traditionally used for fondue. The way I make it is usually with gruyere and emmentaler (the crème de la crème of swiss). Sometimes I make it with even blend of gruyere, fontina, and gouda as well.
- If you want to try something new, I also love cheddar fondue (it is so yummy with soft pretzel bites). When making this type of fondue, I will use cheddar and gruyere. I have also heard that fontina, provolone, asiago and parmesan is an amazing combination – let me know if you try it!
How to Prepare the Cheese to Make Fondue
Whatever you do, do not just throw a block of cheese into a hot pot and wait. Your cheese will never melt! Chopping is no good either. You need to finely grate your cheese and then melt it. The best way to do it is using a food processor with the grater blade. It will save you time and an arm work out.
Next up: Toss the Cheese with Cornstarch Thoroughly. Cornstarch helps thicken the fondue and prevents the cheese from clumping. This is the toughest part about fondue (I know, so hard right?). You need to slowly and consistently stir your cheese.
Add the Cheese Slowly and Stir Constantly. This is SO important to make sure the cheese fondue you make at home is buttery smooth and tastes even better than a cheese fondue restaurant.
Grab a small handful of your cheese and sprinkle it into the pot. Stir constantly and wait for everything to melt before adding the next.
Don’t try to rush it—it won’t work. Put some music on and think about how buttery and yummy it is going to be when you are done.
Our Picks for this recipe
Using Wine in Cheese Fondue
- Classic cheese fondue does call for white wine. Choose something dry and high acid, such as Sauvignon Blanc. The acid in the wine will help keep the cheese smooth and give it an even texture.
- Use Good Wine. Just like using good cheese, the taste of the wine directly impacts the taste of the fondue. Differing than the good cheese, it is easy to find a good wine without braking the bank. Just make sure you enjoy the taste!
- If you’d like to make this cheese fondue recipe without wine, you can substitute unsalted chicken or vegetable stock. For cheddar cheese fondue, try swapping the wine for your favorite beer!
What to Dip in Cheese Fondue
- Bread (I like sourdough but any kind will do!).
- Beef Jerky or cured meats
Other ideas for cheese fondue
- Cherry Tomatoes.
- Roasted Baby Potatoes.
- Steamed Broccoli.
Lastly, since you made it through this whole post, I will impart on you my mama’s best super secret tip – rub a little bit of garlic on the pot. Do not leave it in, all you need is the essence of garlic! It gives it a hint of something extra that takes your fondue to the next level.
Let me know if you decide to try this recipe by commenting down below or tagging us on instagram @ouiplease!
France at your doorstep
Get the best in French food, beauty, apparel, accessories, and more delivered right to your doorstep! Subscribe here and get 25% off your annual subscription with code: AVRIL25.