These simple Petits-Beurre are rich and only slightly sweet. They are delightful on their own, straight from the oven, but a ganache or Nutella takes them to the next level!
Makes about 36 cookies or 18 sandwich cookies
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons (124 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- Strawberry Buttercream (recipe follows)
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar, butter, and ⅓ cup water to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and cook just until butter is melted. Remove from heat, and let cool for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Add butter mixture, and stir with a spoon until combined. Knead by hand until smooth. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 3×2-inch rectangle cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place cookies about ½ inch apart on prepared pan. Using a docker or fork, prick cookies.
- Bake until light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes. Eat plain, or make sandwich cookies with chocolate or any ganache you would like!