- December 10, 2018
- 0 Comment(s)
Decadent Dessert: Tiramisu
As the temperature drops, turn up the flavor in the kitchen with a decadent tiramisu. Layers of frothy, sweet custard and espresso flavored boudoir biscuits come together for a taste sensation you won’t soon forget. From the rich, chocolate notes to the European origins, the tiramisu is a little bite of luxury.
6 large egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup whole milk
4 8-oz containers mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 ½ cup espresso, room temperature
½ cup cognac
30 boudoir biscuits
½ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
Bittersweet chocolate, for shaving
- Line an 8-inch-square baking dish with plastic wrap with overhang on all sides. Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- To make the custard, start by whisking egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the milk and cook about 10 minutes until the custard is light and foamy.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan and set it in a bowl of ice water, whisk until the custard is cool. Put the mascarpone in a large bowl and fold the custard into it with a rubber spatula until almost combined.
- Combine the espresso and cognac in a shallow bowl, then dip the boudoirs into the mixture until they are soaked but not soggy. In the baking dish, arrange the biscuits in two rows of five. Spread one-third of the custard over the boudoirs. Repeat for two additional layers, then dust the top layer of custard with cocoa powder. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, invert a plate on top of the tiramisu, then flip the tiramisu with the plate. Remove the baking dish and plastic wrap. Invert a serving plate on top of the tiramisu and flip again so it is once again cocoa-side up. Complete the dessert by topping it with shaved bittersweet chocolate.