One of my favorite French desserts are little cookies called madeleines. They are the perfect treat because they are soft and buttery. These little cookies are perfect for a house-warming gift and for kiddos that are picky eaters because they are a crowd pleaser! Traditionally, Madeleines are oval shaped with a seashell design. Because this recipe uses a mold, you can use any type of design to add a little of fun. You can use a cookie molds or even soap molds. Let us know what fun designs you come up with!
Here are some of out favorite molds
One reason why I love these cookies is because they are a great base for toppings. Play around with flavors and have fun! You can add chocolate, vanilla, fruity flavors such as raspberries or strawberries, nuts, and more. My favorite are chocolate dipped with pistachios. The balance of salty and sweet couples with the perfect crunch of the nuts.
Photo Cred: supermancooks.com
If you are not a lemon fan, you can make a yummy chocolate variation as well. All you need to do is omit the lemon and increase the sugar to a 1/2 cup. Then, substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for 2 tablespoons of the flour; sift into batter with flour.
Shop these adorable dessert stands
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar for decoration
Perfect accessories for this recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter and flour 12 your molds; set aside. Melt butter and let cool to room temperature. In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and salt at high speed until light.
- Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; and continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in bowl when beaters are lifted, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 cup at a time, gently folding after each addition.
- Add lemon zest and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into molds; it will mound slightly above tops.
- Bake 14 – 17 minutes, or until cakes are golden.
- Use the tip of the knife to loosen madeleines from pan; invert onto rack. Immediately sprinkle warm cookies with granulated sugar.
- Add any toppings you have!
France at your doorstep
Get the best in French food, beauty, apparel, accessories, and more delivered right to your doorstep! Subscribe here and get 25% off with code: 2021REFERESH.
Photo Cred: africanbites.com
Recipe Cred: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9954/french-butter-cakes-madeleines/